Mike Monett wrote:

> Re: CS>basic dumb question
> From: Marshall Dudley
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:22:33
> http://escribe.com/health/thesilverlist/m77074.html
>
>   [...]
>
>   > Solutions by their very nature are always neutral. If you  have an
>   > Ag+ ion, there has to be a (-) ion to balance it. The two together
>   > will define the compound.
>
>   [...]
>
>   > A silver  ion  will  tend  to attact the  OH  portion  of  a water
>   > molecule, producing silver hydroxide. The remaining H will  find a
>   > matching one,  and  form  H2  which  may  remain  dissolved  or be
>   > outgassed over time.
>
>   Marshall,
>
>   It must  be  wonderful  living in a world where  you  never  have to
>   balance chemical equations.

Of course you have to balance equations. But most people don't care to wade
through a lot of equations to know what happens.

>   The reaction  you  describe cannot happen. The  hydrogen  ions would
>   require two electrons to form hydrogen gas. Electrons do not flow in
>   water, and are not available.

Ions flow in the water, they are the OH- and H+ ions, and they ARE
available. Electrons flow in metal, the electrodes are metal. Look up some
resources on electrolysis for more information.

Why do you think they do not think the equations match?

In the electrolytic cell we have the H+ ions moving toward the cathode, and
the OH- ions moving toward the anode.  At the cathode, the H+ ions receive
electrons from the anode and become neutral, combine and produce H2.  At
the cathode two things can happen. They can lose a electrons producing O2
and H2O, this is standard electrolysis where hydrogen is produced at one
electrode and oxygen is produced at the other electrode.  Or a silver atom
can get stripped off the anode, leaving an electron behind and becoming a
silver ion.  If that happens then the OH- ion joins with the Ag+ ion at the
anode producing silver hydroxide.

The equations balance, and ionic silver, ie. silver hydroxide is produced.
You cannot produce silver ions without the OH- radical being produced, or
the equations will not balance!

>   The hydroxyl  ion formed at the cathode is now  unbalanced,  and the
>   solution would  no  longer  be   neutral  as  you  described  in the
>   preceeding paragraph.
>
>   Please balance your equations.

No it is not. It is formed at the cathode, and moves to the anode where it
is nutralized, producing either Oxygen gas and water or silver hydroxide.
The equations balance perfectly.  Take a look at
http://www.nmsea.org/Curriculum/7_12/electrolysis/electrolysis.htm to
understand how this works. They got it right. Look at the picture about
half way down.  You will see that the H+ moves to the cathode and is
released as H2, and the OH-  moves to the anode and is released as O2. That
is the way electrolysis works, you can't argue with over 100 years of
electrolysis experiments and research.

Read the text under the image for a complete explaination.  They even
provide all the equations as well.

Marshall