It "ran away", went to town, got into a fist fight at the bar, did time in jail and was released, got married and had 5 kids, joined the circus and brought the elephant home for dinner.

You're lucky the transformer didn't catch fire. [It was a DC output, right?]

You'll have to watch a setup like that, like a hawk.
When to stop? Sometime short of a mess.

Voltage doesn't matter that much. Current is what got you. That's what ran away.

Ode