  From: Denise Every
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 9:36 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>Red Yeast Rice & Cholesterol

  <<<<There is some report on the internet  (can't find it now) that stated the
FDA banned Red Yeast as a university study found red yeast to be ___effective
as drugs___>>>>>>>>

  I did a quick search and red yeast rice is still being sold, I found it on
multiple sites, Vitamin Shoppe being one.

  I did find an article on WholeHealthMD.com  that mentions the FDA withdrawing
it, it said, "In 2001, however, red yeast rice extract, a "natural" unregulated
nutritional supplement, was withdrawn by the FDA. This decision followed the
agency's determination that it was chemically too similar to the prescription
statin medication Mevacor, and thus should be classified as a "drug," which by
law is strictly controlled by the federal government."

  But I don't know what the date of this article is, the web site has a
copyright date of 2000... maybe the FDA took some other action since and
reversed its 2001 decision?

  Denise