Betsy,

I feel confident in saying the following, from a long time spent on this list, and I am sure that no one on the lists will contradict me:

Quality, home-made electrically isolated silver, made using a well-made low-voltage device such as the Silvergen SG6 or the SilverPuppy works very well.

These devices produce both ionic and colloidal silver in an 80/20 or 90/10 ratio, approximately.

This is a dispute about which is the active (or more active) component. It is a very contentious dispute, with many facts going back and forth. It is difficult for anyone lacking a PhD in colloid chemistry to follow.

If you make EIS and check with a simple laser pointer for the "Tyndall effect" you will see a veritable constellation of silver particles in homemade EIS. It is like the Milky Way. If particles are the essential component, there are plenty of them. If ions, there are far more of those, though you can not see them.

Even scientist Frank Key, an advocate of particles, states that quality EIS is effective insofar as it contains particles, which it does, and that the ionic component, which he says become silver chloride, is not a serious risk factor for argyria.

If you want to get rid of the ionic component -- which is not something you need to do -- there is a simple method in the archives for using salt to do so. Ignore this unless you want to do some experimenting.

This information should be helpful to you, I think. I tried to keep it short and sweet.

JBB