Ode Coyote wrote:

> >Enhancement of H2O2 for EIS.
> >

> >2. H2O2 will react with large silver particles, producing silver oxide.
>
> ##  I've had a piece of new silver wire submerged in H2O2 for 2 days
> now...no apparent change..lots of bubbles.

I have run the same experiment twice, and both times got a tan colored covering
on the wire, and when the H2O2 completely evaporated, got a tan colored
precipitate on the bottom of the glass. Since silver oxide has a solubility of
13 ppm, you may be using too much H2O2.  I put a 2 inch piece of 14 guage
silver wire in the bottom of a short 4 oz glass, and added just enough H2O2 to
cover the bottom and the wire completely, I then let it set and watched it.
After a day or two once the solubility limit of silver oxide was reached, the
film on the wire formed, and after another day or so the liquid evaporated
leaving behind the tan precipitate on the bottom as well.  When I added some
H2O2 to this (an inch or so deep), both the tan on the bottom and the tan on
the wire dissolved back leaving a clear liquid again.

> >3. H2O2 will react with silver hydroxide producing silver oxide.
>
> ##  Playing about with  EIS that had been treted with H2O2 when fresh to
> get that violent reaction then letting it sit of a few weeks...color , very
> murky brownish with a light trapping quality...the addition of a little
> more H2O2 instantly cleared it up as a fluffy white/tan solid formed while
> the previously very heavy TE completely vanished.
>  I think maybe that adding peroxide to the fresh stuff makes suspended
> silver oxides which stabilize somehow

Agreed.

> , then more peroxide converts that to a silver hydroxide precipitate.

I have never gotten the white precipitate.  I can't think of any way hydrogen
peroxide would convert silver oxide to silver hydroxide, and the ionic portion
should have been silver hydroxide to start with, and it was in solution.  I
would think that it might be forming silver peroxide, but silver peroxide is
gray or black, not white.  Maybe the initial is silver peroxide and the white
is silver oxide.

>  Whatever is going on with that, the weirdnesses don't stop there. Every
> alteration of timing , amount of peroxide added when and dilution with
> water makes everything go different.

I am not surprised by that since H2O2 can make silver oxide from silver
particles, and silver particles from silver hydroxide, concentrations,
temperature, and so forth could easily change the dymanics, plus it may be
making something else as you seem to think as well.

> >4. H2O2 will react with silver oxide (Ag2O) producing particles of
> >silver composed of 2 atoms.
> ##  I got a feeling that Ag2O and AgO react quite differently and both are
> present at some time or the other in different places.
>  I think maybe peroxide breaks down Ag2O and it goes into solution with the
> help of the peroxide, then when the peroxide reverts to water it turns into
> AgO which isn't very water soluable.
>  Whatever the validity of that idea, peroxide and EIS do a managerie of
> very different and strange things depending on when and how much is used on
> what.

I agree.

>  I'm going to try and send 'Monkey wrenching everything' again.  It was
> bounced twice.
> ..maybe because it's a very confusing work by a very confused person?
>
>  "Scientific method" style structured and documented experimentation should
> be used, but hasn't been...so the only really valid conclusion is, sometin'
> ain't quite right here.
>
>  I feel like I'm doing quantum mechanics with a base ball bat and a
> blindfold...using the bats brain.
>  ... there's something more than meets the bats blind eye. [Look!, a quack!
> DUCK!  ]

Have at it, and good luck. I wish we could identify the white precipitate
conclusively.  I wonder if we are getting a reaction from the stabalizer in
H2O2, something I had not considered before.

>From what I can find H2O2 is normally stabalized with acetanilide, or acetic
acid amid ( CH3CONH2 )

Now, if we get a reaction between silver and this it could produce silver
acetate, which IS white.  But you would have to add a good bit of H2O2 I would
imagine since there is very little stabalizer in H2O2.  Also silver acetate is
soluble, so it should not form a precipitate, so that really does not make any
sense either.

Marshall