Silver makes a silver/mercury amalgum more stable.
Having bound with the mercury, the mercury further hardens and is less likely to migrate some place else.
If it doesn't migrate, it's less toxic.

Mercury isn't toxic. Mercuric oxide is.
Silver prevents mercury from oxidizing. [Sorta like nickle prevents stainless steel from rusting]
But you can't put enough silver in an amalgum to completely stabilize it and it still be soft enough to push into a cavity.

I have a mouth full of metal.
Since using CS, not one has developed a leak in several years...nor have I needed any more metal.

My dentist refuses to believe it...but can't find any places to put any anymore.

My 2 cents.

ode