I looked into some of this previously as I do a lot of soldering and was
concerned with potential lead fumes from soldering fumes.

The MSDS indicated that lead was not vaporized until the temperature
reached 1,000 degrees F.  As most electronic soldering is done at
temperatures of around 650 to 850 degrees with a controlled heat
soldering gun or solder pot, this type of soldering should be safe with
respect to fumes.  The flux fumes, however, can cause a sensitization
reaction.

For  soldering or melting processes using uncontrolled heating methods,
if the temperature goes over 1000 degrees F. there would be the
possibility of releasing lead vapor fumes.

There is also the possibility of ingesting lead through hand contact,
eating/smoking, and breathing lead dusts.  It is very advisable to wash
one's hands before eating after handling stuff.

In the plant where I work, they do a lot of welding on steel of the
type with some quantity of lead in it so as to improve it's qualities
for bending and shaping.  The fumes from this are allowed to escape
freely into the general building atmosphere and we no doubt breathe a
quantity of it.  It is particularly bad in the winter when the place is
closed up to conserve heat.

Sometimes one almost hopes there is actually a Hell where people who do
these sorts of things to other people can reap their "rewards"...

"(sigh)" - quoted from M. Devour...

Dan

From: <noblemetals (view other messages by this author)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:23:20

Breathing fumes (thru a mask) while melting and pouring lead diver's
weights.  stupid--stupid---