  From: Raine
  To: silver-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 12:39 PM
  Subject: Re: CS>NATIONAL HEALTH FEDERATION - CAFTA Press Release

  Below is the response I got from my Senator. Not very heartening.

Dear Mrs. XXXX:

       Thank you for writing to express your concerns regarding the
Codex Alimentarius legislation proposed under the World Trade
Organization (WTO).  I appreciate the time you took to write.

        I understand your serious concern regarding this issue. As you
know, the WTO is an international body which addresses the rules of
trade between countries.  At its heart are the WTO agreements,
negotiated and signed by the bulk of the world's trading nations, which
provide the legal ground-rules for international commerce.  They are
essentially contracts, binding governments to keep their trade policies
within agreed limits.

       The availability of dietary supplements to the public is
important, but it is equally important that these supplements do not put
the consumer's health at stake.  I believe that if we are to ensure the
safety of those who consume dietary supplements, we must make sure
that these supplements are not hazardous to their health.  We cannot
allow deaths, such as those caused by the dietary supplement Ephedra, to
continue.   Please know that I will continue to monitor the work of the
WTO and be sure to keep your thoughts in mind as I do so.

        Again, thank you for writing.  I hope that you will continue to
keep me informed of your views and concerns.  If you should have
further questions regarding this or any other issue, please do not hesitate
to contact my Washington, D.C office at (202) 224-3841, or visit my
website at http://feinstein.senate.gov.

                        Sincerely yours,

                        Dianne Feinstein
                        United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

  Paula Perry wrote:
    This article explains the whole situation we are facing regarding CAFTA and
CODEX. I am sending it because we all need to act quickly. CAFTA is in trouble.
There is a slim chance it will not pass.
    Paula

     http://www.thenhf.com/newsflash_49.htm