A drug search for ephedrine  (the isolated ingredient of the
herb ma/ ephedra, plenty of OTC products. So it is still out
there. There is a warning on Sudafed  that overdose makes
you drowsy. But pop a handful and you'll get a buzz (so they
say, I never tried it). You may be right and maybe "ephedra"
was "unadulterated" compared to Sudafed but IMO, BOTH
products were made by phamaucitcals (not by a herbalist).

Here's a question.

Drug Companies routinely produce many times over the number
of legal prescriptions (or OTC sales) as the legitimate
demand call for - including the free samples. They have been
doing this for years.  Why in a business sense would they
continue to produce say 1,000 units when they can only sell
or give away 100 units ???

Since OUR government has statistics on everything ... like
how many eggs the average American eats per year, I wonder
how many Sudafed's each American consumes (buys) versus how
many Sudafed's (ephedrine) are produced each year.
(Referring to previous posts) that answer will show that
Senator Feinstein's (D-CA) heart is in the right place -
depending upon who you're working for that is...

Ed Kasper LAc. Licensed Acupuncturist & Herbalist
Acupuncture is a jab well done
www.HappyHerbalist.com   Santa Cruz, CA.