I just got a mailing from a Paul Oberdorf who advocates alternative
methods of healing and sells stuff for colon cleansing, Colloidal
Silver, etc.

He says that he has come up with a method, based on some European
research with overweight mice, which causes one to loose weight by
taking an antioxidant supplement.

Basically, one takes ALA (alpha lipoic acid) capsules three times a
day, after eating.  It's that simple.  The dose is one pill of 375mg
after each meal for a total of 1125mg per day.  He also states that the
375 is all useable ALA so getting a manufactured product may have a
lower amount of useable ALA.

The mechanism is not entirely understood, but apparently involves a
suppression of an enzyme that makes one hungry and also the effect of
ALA directly on the liver where it increases bile flow.  ALA is also
supposed to be a heavy metal chelator.  It also is supposed to affect
the use of fat in the body as energy, I'm not sure how.

He has tried it on himself and several others who have given
testimonials, they are seeing the effects by 2 to 3 weeks.  It seems to
suppress food cravings, normalize appetite, and burn off fat deposits on
the body.

I don't know if anyone with mercury or lead toxicity would suffer any
ill effects by using ALA in this fashion but that may be a concern for
some.

I know that I took ALA and had good results with improving
liver/gallbladder function.  I took 100mg every 4 hours for several days
and then some time off in between courses.

Comments?

Dan