Friends,

About the silver treatment of water filters, this is becoming accepted by folks who otherwise dislike silver, since the silver doesn't get into the filtered water. It is true that the potters for Peace filter pot (7 liter filter element, resembling a flower pot) continues to have many users, around a half million world wide, and that is to the organizations credit. Since my earlier correspondence, sited by Ode, the pottery purifier candles I introduced to Nepal have had a successful project conclusion. Check out the site: www.purifier.com.np

I stopped updating purifier.com.np last year, since my family moved from Nepal, but would like to report here the results of the project. The candles are 4.5 ins. diameter and 4.5 ins. height, the systems as low priced as US$4.50. The candles were found to have an excellant removal rate for e coli and other harmful bacteria. (It's virtually 100% removal if properly manufactured and used.) At 2.0 liters of purified water per hour the system has been said to meet the needs of a family of five or six. Maintenance is simple, requiring that the contaminated water of the upper container be topped off only twice daily.

The systems were placed in sixty low income communities which have had no piped water, so surface collection of water is necessary. The communities were chosen partly on the basis that other water purification interventions, such as boiling and chlorine, had not been considered acceptable by the users. A concluding questionaire indicated that 80% of the users would willingly purchase a replacement system, at such time as this becomes necessary.

I would like to add that it appears that it is only the Potters for Peace filter pot and the pottery purifier of the Nepal project that continue to be the only filter elements to have been found appropriate, that are made of the common pottery clays. Other ceramic filters are made using expensive resources. Policy makers are taking this to be important, since the production model is widely replicable, dependent on local resoures, therefore sustainable. The result of imported resources is that people like the poor of the Nepal study will be less likely to pay the price.

Recently there's been talk that the U.S. would like to back down on the Millennium Development Goals. The MDGs stipulate that by 2015, half of the worlds poorest will get decent drinking water, half of the 1.1 billion who do not have piped water from a pure source. Without undue immodesty I should also say that at a recent international conference on household water treatment there were several presentaions that indicated a widespread user preference ceramic water filters. The conference indicated a growing consensus among its participants, even the purveyors of other point-of-use technologies, that ceramic systems are indeed appropriate. Aside from the high degree of effectiveness and the low cost the low income users have found the systems to be simple to maintain.

One challenge pertains to hygiene/ education. In instances where the use of ceramic filters has not led to a reduced rate of diarrheal illness a reason has been the lack of hand washing, prior to filling a glass. Because the questionnaires tend always to get a "yes" response, when asked if hands are being washed, there is a need for creative ways of ascertaining the extent of this practice. More importantly there needs to be a campaign, sensitively acquainting those of low income to the need for hygeinic practices.

Reid Harvey

http://www.potters.org/subject32525.htm

Reid Harvey on wed 23 aug 00 (ceram...@bol-online.com)

Dear Janet, Mel, Paul, Gavin, Louis, Everybody,

For the sake of better understanding I would like to give a somewhat
simplified description of the earthenware water purifiers of both
Potters for Peace and Ceramiques d'Afrique. The two are very different
in design, thus far that of PFP being better established and accepted
than that of Ceramique d'Afrique [Reid does these, I think]

Ode