Without any current controls, starting a little further up the runaway
scale makes it run away exponentially faster. Seeding the batch took you a
long way up the scale at start, probably into the region of near verticle
current rise and your end result is probably 8-12...20? times as strong in
the same amount of time.

 Without some instrumentation, there's just no way to tell what's going to
happen with that sort of generating setup.
 A very minor difference in starting water conductivity makes a big
difference in the end results within a given time frame, but 'seeding'
makes a BIG difference in initial conductivity.
 If you start out with a big difference, you wind up with a mega whopping
HUGE difference in the end with a few minutes being the equivalent of an
hour or more.

Hints:
Put a milliammeter in series with your electrodes.
 Always position the electrodes the same way in the same amount of water.
 Record the starting current and ending current on a batch you like and
shoot for the difference for some degree of repeatability.

 If you chart the current in time increments, you'll see how it races out
of control like a rock falling off a building without you knowing anything
about how tall the building is today.
..will the rock go 'plip' or 'BANG' when it hits?  You just have no way of
knowing.

Ode