On the subject of light flashes...

About 7 years ago, when I was on Tamoxifen to prevent recurrence of breast cancer, my left eye suddenly filled with blood soon after I experienced lightning fast flashes going around and around in circles on the outer edge of my visual field inside my eye, almost like a fireworks light show. I experienced those for quite awhile afterwards, too, and was told it was a danger signal for possible retinal detachment. When, after several weeks, the blood finally was finally resorbed so they could peer inside my eye, they found a small hole in the retina, where the vitreous humor had pulled away from the eyeball. The ophthalmologist used his laser to seal around the edges of it to preclude another incident. Instant fix, painless, took just a few minutes. Those guys have incredible technology at their disposal!

I asked my oncologist if it was caused by the Tamoxifen, as in the small print, visual problems were listed as possible side effects. She replied that such effects occurred in the studies only when the dosage was many times what I was taking, and the Tamoxifen could not have been responsible. Yeah, sure. Sure I believe that. And I believe that pigs can fly, too. (She also did not tell me that the Femara she recommended I take last year as a followon to Tamoxifen could cause my hair to drastically thin and fall -- which it did. She was quite surprised to learn I found that side effect on the Internet, too. Nice lady, but not up to speed on the drugs being peddled by the pharmaceutical industry, apparently.)

Marlys