Dear Jonathan,

  You said:

<< One leading medical researcher has devoted his career to the
theory
that toxoplasm gondii, from cats, particularly their excrement, is a
leading, though not sole, cause of schizophrenia.    The recent issue
of Esquire features an article about this MD.   Those who are
interested will find it readily enough.   Bottom line:  cats (and
dogs)
kept in the house pose risks to their owners.>>

   **  Jonathan, the way this is worded can be misleading.  The most
recent journal article about this is from Psychopathology
2005;38:87–90.  In the introduction the  article states:

   "It is widely accepted that multiple factors are involved
in the aetiology of schizophrenia and its psychopathology.
Family and adoption studies support a genetic component
to disease risk. Epidemiological studies have shown
that environmental factors such as perinatal infections,
urban birth and winter-spring birth can also play a role
[1] . Toxoplasma gondii (TG) has been identified as a candidate
infectious agent related to schizophrenia [2] ."

  Further on in the introduction the authors state (asterisks mine for
emphasis):

   "We have previously shown an increased level of antibodies
to TG in individuals with first-episode schizophrenia
as compared to a control group (p < 0.1–0.2) [8] .
*** While this increase did not reach the significance level***, a
similar finding was published by Gu et al. [9] . In the present
study, we therefore asked whether antibodies to TG
are associated with the clinical psychopathological presentation
and response to treatment of individuals with
first-episode schizophrenia."

  The authors presented three possibilities for the presence of TG
antibodies.  They then state:

   "The first possibility
can be ruled out in first-episode patients who have
received little or no treatment. The second and third hypotheses
may be linked to one another but can neither be
proven nor disproven with the current data and they warrant
further studies. One possibility is that endogenous
retroviruses may serve as a link between activation of TG
infections and psychosis [20] .

A major limitation of the present study is the crosssectional
design. As early as 1956, Wende [21] cautioned
that TG positivity only proves that an infection has occurred
but does not establish a causal relationship between
the current disease and TG. Sufficient proof has to
include high antibody titres and titre fluctuations via serial
examinations. Despite their limitations, our results
explain more than half of the variance of IgM antibodies
to TG. Since these are acute-phase antibodies, their presence
in first-episode schizophrenia patients suggests an
influence of TG in the causes of schizophrenic psychopathology.
Our results need further testing and a replication
is currently under way." [citations below signature]

   **  There have been other studies prior to this one that showed
nothing more than this did.

   My point is that statements that TG is a "leading cause of
schizophrenia" or  that causality between TG and schizophrenia has
been proven, could have people believing things for which there is no
definitive evidence at this time.

  I've cc'd this to the OT list in case of further discussion.

Regards,
Catherine

1 Torrey EF, Rawlings R, Yolken RH: The antecedants
of psychoses: A case-control study of
selected risk factors. Schizophr Res 2000; 46:
17–23.

2 Torrey EF, Yolken RH: Toxoplasma gondii
may contribute to the aetiology of schizophrenia.
Emerg Infect Dis, in press.

8 Yolken RH, Bachmann S, Rouslanova I, Lillehoj
E, Ford G, Torrey EF, Schröder J: Antibodies
to Toxoplasma gondii in individuals with
first-episode schizophrenia. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 32: 842–844.

9 Gu H, Yolken RH, Phillips M, Yang F, Bilder
RM, Gilmore JH, Lieberman JA: Evidence of
Toxoplasma gondii infection in recent-onset
schizophrenia (abstract). Schizophr Res 2001;
49: 53.

20 Karlsson H, Bachmann S, Schröder J, McArthur
J, Torrey EF, Yolken RH: Retroviral
RNA identified in the cerebrospinal fluids and
brains of individuals with schizophrenia. Proc
Natl Acad Sci USA 2001; 98: 4634–4639.
21 Wende S: Die Bedeutung der Toxoplasmose
für die Neurologie und Psychiatrie. Arch Psychiatr
Nervenkr Z Gesamte Neurol Psychiatr
1956; 194: 179–199.