I am curious to see this explored in depth.

I could not see Bruce Marx doing something that was completely unworkable.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Marshall Dudley [mailto:mdud...@king-cart.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:32 AM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: CS>Adding bicarb of soda to water for brewing

Adding a very small amount of baking soda to distilled water that has picked
up
some CO2 and formed carbonic acid is very interesting to analyze.

CO2 + H2O ->  H2CO3  or carbonic acid
NaHCO3 + H2CO3 -> NaOH +  2CO2 + H2O

If you don't add enough bicarb to neutralize all the carbonic acid, then you
can get this reaction as well:

2NaOH + H2CO3 = Na2CO3 + 2H2O

but then sodium carbonate should react with carbonic acid as well producing:

Na2CO3 + H2CO3 -> 2NaOH + 2CO2

Which puts us right back to the Sodium Hydroxide again.

So unless I am mistaken, the smallest pinch possible of baking soda (or lye)
would neutralize 100% of the carbonic acid in distilled water that has
absorbed
CO2, and as long as no more is added than is necessary to cause all the CO2
be released, the effect will be a DECREASE in carbonate, not an increase.
The
sodium hydroxide acts as a catalyst to release CO2.  I have put this
question
to some chemists for confirmation and should have a reply shortly.

This appears to be a very interesting topic that needs more study.

Marshall