http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/hanetwork1.htm

This is frightfully like, as well:
The Basics Of Good Networking

In lots of professional circles "networking" has come to be regarded as a
necessary skill that leads to new jobs and new customers. I prefer to regard
it as an enjoyable social practice that enriches my life. Therein, I
believe, lies the difference between bad networking and good networking.

Have you ever had an old contact call you when he's job hunting? Suddenly an
otherwise casual, friendly person turns into a preoccupied motor-mouth who
makes you wish you'd let voicemail take the call. That's an example of bad
networking.

"Networking" is an unfortunate term because it implies connections but
ignores the importance of true relationships. Networking isn't about the
quantity of contacts you make; it's about the quality of relationships you
enjoy.

Let's take a look at what's wrong with the conventional notions of
networking practices so we can come up with a simple approach to good
networking.

Don't speculate for a job.
The way lots of people "network for a job" reminds me of day-trading in the
stock market. The networker has no interest in the people or companies he's
"investing" in. He just wants a quick profit. He skims the surface of an
industry or profession, trying to find easy contacts that might pay off
quickly. This is what networking meetings (or so-called "business card
exchanges") are usually all about.

When you encounter an experienced networker, you'll find that he listens
carefully to the useful information you give him, but once you're done
helping, he's not interested in you any more. He might drop some tidbits
your way, but don't expect him to remember you next week.

Invest in relationships.
Contrast this to someone who reads about your company and calls to discuss
how you applied an old technology to produce new results. He's interested in
your work and stays in touch with you, perhaps sending an article about a
related topic after you've talked.

This initial contact might prompt you to one day call your newfound friend
for advice, or to visit his company's booth at the next trade show and
introduce yourself. Maybe it never goes beyond that, or maybe one day you'll
work together. The point is, after a time you become known entities to one
another. You become members of one another's circle. You'll help one another
because you're friends, not because "it will pay off later".

Belong.
People trust other people they know. Why? Because "getting to know you"
takes a long time. This approach to business reveals integrity and it
reveals patience. People who have made that kind of investment in you are
usually worthy of your trust. They're the kinds of people who can refer
their buddies to you -- and you're glad to make the new acquaintance,
because you are all part of the same circle.

People in your circle are people you would hire or go to work for. If
there's a catch to this, it's that you have to invest in getting to know
them first. That's what makes a really good network of people so difficult
to become a part of. It's also what makes it so desirable to belong to.

In our case, people in our circle are the ones we would likely trust for
advice, research topics, sources, methods; we might also pipe up if we think
they are going astray; we see an article on  a subject they mentioned three
years ago and revive the topic; we quote them, we refer others to their
website or their practice or their book.