----- Original Message -----
From: William Missett
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: CS>dental mercury

I had my amalgam fillings removed in the late '80s, after reading a book by a
dentist warning that the mercury fillings were toxic. (He subsequently lost his
dental license, because the ADA is/was in full denial on the subject, since it
has known since the 1840s that mercury would kill you.)

At the time, I knew I was supposed to have a sophisticated treatment procedure,
but since my Rancho Santa Fe dentist wanted $175 per filling,  I declined and
went to Tijuana, where a Mexican dentist used part of required removal process
for his and my protection -- a dental dam for me and a powerful fan to blow
away the toxic fumes from him and I.  I had about 7-8 mercury fillings removed
over two weekends -- uppers one week and lowers the next.  I had them all
removed for what my US dentist wanted to charge for one tooth.

I never had  any negative reaction to this procedure, even though I know it was
less than state of the art.  I was one of those who should have been very
susceptible to the mercury fumes, since I had experienced intense, prolonged
exposure to mercury as a teenager.

I think the warnings about removal are overblown, to prevent the practice from
becoming universal, and to allow US dentists to charge more for the service.

William,
I'm glad you had a good experience.

Mercury removal expertise varies widely. So does a negative reaction to
mercury. Some people can handle it better than others. So for people who really
need their fillings removed, it's important to have it done properly.

Nenah