I had all my amalgams removed in Japan, at modest cost because I pay into the health care system. There were no special precautions. The amalgams were replaced with composites. The results were very pleasing. I had no unpleasant reactions from the amalgam removal, and have observed steady changes in my health since that time. This is just an anecdote, and other patients might react differently, of course.