> Are you saying that aextra iron in the form of tablets etc are not
> good...??ivce just bought my children vitimin and iron supplements....im
> wondering now if its worth even giving these to them??

I only have heard a little about iron, but for men, I've been told,
accumulation of extra iron is not a healthy thing. We don't need iron
supplements. Women, who bleed (more or less) regularly during their
fertile years, may.

I've read that free iron radicals are extremely destructive, and that
is why iron is carefully controlled in the body. During tissue damage,
it is, in fact, released iron that causes a large portion of the trauma
on a cellular level.

There is a blood test for the amount of ferritin, which is a storage
molecule used to sequester iron atoms. Supposedly the amount of
ferritin in the bloodstream is proportional to the amount stored in the
cells.

Men are being advised by some to make a habit of routine blood donation
in order to cut down on stored iron. Most men have elevated ferritin
levels, and regular blood donation brings them down to a healthy level.

I experienced this myself, while I was on a strict carb restricted diet
a few years back. I was getting regular bloodwork done that showed that
I simultaneously brought down my lipid and ferritin levels by diet and
regular blood donations.

For what it's worth...

Be well,

Mike D.