From: "Pat" <pattycake29...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:36 PM

I would love to find a way to help my son. He's had irritable bowel and lactose intolerance problems since he was three. Thank goodness I breast fed him till he was 2 years 4 months. He tried adding fiber supplements but that didn't help at all. He eats the typical American diet but does do more fresh food and sushi than most. He was tested by a gastroenterologist when in junior high school to be sure it was irritable bowel syndrome. He's using so much Immodium, but that is the only thing that helps him. He said he gets pain so severe that he can't walk upright and breaks out in a sweat. One website says one should eat vegan, the other says one should mostly eat raw meats. Surely there's something in between that makes more sense.
********

Pat,
There's a very high possibility that he could have celiac disease with these symptoms. My sister suffered for years with IBS. I finally talked her into going gluten free which she did for a month, then complained to me that it wasn't helping. That same day she ran into an old friend at the health food store and was advised to continue wheat/gluten free diet and add probiotics and one garlic capsule a day.
Within 3 days her symptoms completely cleared up.

She continued this for 3 more months, then took a vacation to Ireland. She told me in advance there was no way she was staying gluten free with the breads in Ireland. After she was there for 3 days she stopped into an internet cafe, and sent me just this message, "It's the wheat--oh boy, is it ever the wheat!"

She stays on a gluten free regimen *most* of the time, but if she falls off the gluten wagon she pays almost an instant price with the return of IBS.

Here are a few sites you could peruse:

http://www.celiac.com/index.html

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html

http://donwiss.com/