Well, some scholars think that language is a matter of correct rules; sorry, the "rules" are deduced from the material, though occasionally there are squabbles. Err, scholarly debate? One of the great losses to our knowledge of the mind has been the 'disappearing' of many many languages totally unrelated to the main families of language we are familiar with. The ideational patterns that inform language constructs are by no means fixed mental arrangements any more than they are completely arbitrary, they seem to inhabit some middle ground, a confusion of forms - or perhaps forms of confusion?
"Further, present deponent saith not."