Mike, what I find objectionable is that they have taken the practice of putting
an antibiotic into newborns eyes as a matter of standard procedure. There are
not that many women today who have  syphilis and/or gonorrhea which is not
discovered through prenatal care, blood tests, etc, available to women of all
walks of life, regardless of economic means.  The practice may have once been
applicable when women were more inclined to have home births, midwives, or
lived in rural areas with no medical services.  I see it as a rather archaic,
hold over practice in today's society.

"M. G. Devour" <mdev...@eskimo.com> wrote: Debbie writes:
> Mike what about the cs they use in newborns eyes as soon as they are
> born, and the use in the burn unit's today too or is that something
> different?

They used to use silver nitrate in the eyes of newborns. It stung and
sometimes caused temporary staining, if I remember right, but did
protect against blindness caused by syphilis and gonorrhea. Nowadays
most places are using antibiotic ointments or drops.

      Regards,

  Carol Ann

 God is what you can find in anything you look at if you look long enough.