Never stung or bitten that I can SAY was any of those. I've had a few bites in the morning that itched pretty bad and took a while to heal up, but never saw what did the deed.

Yellow jackets now.... never see em coming and they make your whole body hurt for hours. They'll hit ya 3 times before you can decide which way to run.

Ode

At 09:05 PM 5/19/2006 +0000, you wrote:

Are you sure this was a Black Widow?
I was under the understanding that one bite is lethal to a human. It is a neurotoxin paralysis to the nervous system and kills within 15-20 minutes.

Am I mistaken?

Ernie

From: Tad Winiecki <winie...@pacifier.com>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: CS>Brown recluse bite
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:28:24 -0700

Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 17:49:38 -0400
From: "Barbara" <barba...@tampabay.rr.com>

I had 2 Black Widow spider bites.  I put meat tenderizer (papain, bromelain
in meat tenderizer break down protein and bee venom and I presume spider
venom is made of protein also) one the first one.  In absence of meat
tenderizer I have used digestive enzymes or fresh pineapple, papaya, or
kiwi fruit.

The bite I put meat tenderizer on immediately did not react at all to the
venom- no necrotizing tissue or inflammation at all.  I did get a general
reaction of nausea and stomach cramps.  The second bite I didn't recognize
as a bite at the time.  The next day it started to necrotize and my leg
swelled up and turned red.  In an inflammatory situation Vitamin C in large
quantities should help.  I was given an antibiotic and after a couple of
days the swelling went away, after a lot of prayer and healing scripture
confessions.  Perhaps soaking in epsom salts would also be beneficial
because that helped my daughter after she had swelling and inflammation
from a pencil lead being rammed into her foot.

I'm only assuming Black Widow spider venom and Brown Recluse venom are similar.

Nancy

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>