To: <silver-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: CS> FRONT TOOTH non-metal and porcelain

I looked up quite a few sites, Trudy, and came to the conclusion that
ceramic or clear plastic would be the choice for me.

I don't want metal either glued on or screwed in anywhere.  Apart from
anything the metal might do physically, I don't really want it acting as an
aerial in  my mouth for any one of the million signals floating around at
any one time.

I was able to get hold of my former dentist, now retired, and he gave me the
name Procera extra strength, which could be made into a Maryland bridge.
Also he gave me the name of a technician in Perth (Australia), who gave me
the name of a practice only 90 mins or so from here, who used to use him but
now have their own technician.  At his recommendation I have an appointment
Monday pm.

The other thing my old dentist mentioned was an all resin bridge, pretty
good but not as strong, which has fibres inside.  I think this is what I
think of as plastic.

I think there is a better chance of correct colour matching with these two
kinds than with what I have had previously.

There was an interesting paragraph in Walter Lasts "Physical Cancer
Therapies":
The pink colour of dentures may be due to heavy metals, commonly mercury or
cadmium. If you cannot get a guarantee that the coloring is free of heavy
metals, it is safer to ask for clear plastic dentures made of Methyl
Methacrylate, or Flexite for partial dentures. Use plastic denture teeth
rather than porcelain teeth, which are based on aluminium oxide and other
metals. Change metal bridges and partial dentures to clear plastic. Even
gold can be a problem because to make it cheaper, it is commonly blended
with 20% of the more harmful palladium. A small amount of gold as for one
crown may be acceptable, but as a general rule keep your mouth free of
metals, and make sure only metal-free plastics are used as replacement.

The above seems to be correct, as I note from the various sites that there
does seem to be a fair amount of metal in the various porcelains, apart from
metal backing used as wings or aprons glued to adjacent teeth.

http://www.mynewsmile.com/porcelaincrownfrontteeth.htm said  It used to be
that any crown had to have some metal in it for strength. Today, we can make
them out of all porcelain, meaning that they can look very esthetic and very
natural. Unfortunately, most dental schools emphasize the use of porcelain
fused to metal crowns, and that's the only crown many dentists know how to
do for front teeth. But porcelain fused to metal crowns for front teeth look
opaque, unnatural, and tend to develop a dark line at the gumline after a
few years....
BONDED ALL PORCELAIN - This is the type of crown that a true
cosmetic dentist will almost always place on a front tooth. It is made
entirely of porcelain or other ceramic material. Now the type of porcelain
used for crowns for teeth by itself is not very strong. The way a cosmetic
dentist will handle this is he or she will bond the crown to the tooth, thus
giving it plenty of strength to function. However, since dental schools do
not normally train dentists in the bonding techniques required to place
these crowns, you should be careful to only have them done by expert
cosmetic dentists ....
EXTRA STRENGTH ALL PORCELAIN - There are some new
ceramic materials that have extra strength - so much so that they don't have
to be bonded. Some general dentists like to place these crowns on front
teeth because they don't require specialized training to place, and they
don't have the esthetic disadvantages of metal. However, they aren't as
esthetic as the bonded all porcelain crowns. Some brand names of crowns that
are this type are Procera crowns, InCeram crowns, Cercon Zirconia crowns,
Lava crowns, and Cerec crowns.  ...

Dental ceramics, also termed porcelains, have a composite structure
consisting of a crystalline phase or phases within a glassy matrix. Dental
ceramics consist of oxides, largely of metals and silica, and are
essentially inert materials, but we should be aware that they can be
attacked by acidulated phosphate fluoride (APF) gel.... In-Ceram is a glass
infused ceramic used for crowns (Fig. 2). It consists of a core containing
90% alumina, which is built up on a refractory die.  (What!)

In-Ceram Spinnel is a similar type of material but uses the less hard
magnesium spinnel (MgAl 2O4) instead of alumina. The material is
specifically designed for inlays and onlays. Most recently introduced is
In-Ceram Zirconia, which has a very high flexural strength.

A novel material called Techceram has been introduced in the UK, which also
relies on having a glass infused core. The core is built of small 'splats'
of alumina sprayed from a plasma gun at a rotating refractory die.... Glass
ceramics are polycrystalline solids prepared by the controlled
crystallisation of glasses. The best known of these systems, Dicor, is based
on mica crystals although there is another, Cerapearl, based on
hydroxyapatite and experimental lithia-based materials.24 A Dicor
restoration is made by investing a wax pattern and casting. Heating the
reinvested crown for six hours at 1070°C carries out controlled
crystallisation, termed 'ceraming'. This causes the Mica to form a strong
'house of cards' structure, which makes fracture propagation equally
difficult in all directions........ Procera AllCeram is a densely sintered,
high purity alumina core on which low fusing porcelain is built.36,
37AllCeram cores have some of the highest measurements of flexural strength
yet recorded for a commercially available system. Despite this, even
stronger materials based on zirconia are being developed. .. A mixture of
alumina and binder is pressed onto the dies under pressure and, before
sintering, machined to the required thickness ...  It is possible to make
small anterior bridges with most of these systems, but with the exception of
Vita's In-Ceram few manufacturers actively promote this because of the risk
of fracture, especially at the connectors. The Procera AllCeram specifies a
minimum connector height of 3 mm and a maximum span of 11 mm

http://www.dentalcaresouthperth.com.au/design.html says  Maryland Bridges
use metal aprons while Encore Bridges utilize fiber-reinforced resin. Strong
cements have made this very conservative procedure more reliable. There is
always the possibility this style of bridge will debond and require
recementing. When the adjacent teeth are healthy unrestored teeth, the
Maryland and Encore Bridges are excellent choices.

Well, - as my metal bridge debonded three times while I had it in my mouth,
causing who knows what infection in my body until it was fixed,  I see no
reason to prefer it over non-metal.

The more I read, the more I think the non-porcelain sounds good. Encore
bridge  http://www.bitein.com/drelit03.htm  The porcelain seems to need some
sort of metal component in any blend.

Rowena

http://www.tandkliniek-duitsland.nl/tandimplantaten/tandimplantaten.htm
Rowena ,maybe this website can tell you more... in several languages.
Trudy