On Thursday, October 19, 2006, at 10:26 PM, Jonathan B. Britten wrote:

I have one tip: several years ago I read a series of articles about a gadget that CF patients use to breathe in ordinary air. The device in some manner caused the air to enter the lungs in a pattern or manner that breaks up mucous.

I do not recall all the details, but a Google search might turn up this information. The device was not expensive, simple to use, and according to the claims, very effective. It saved parents from having to pound on their childrens' backs to break up the mucous, and was much more effective.

Hope this helps.

JBB

http://www.bearstreetpharmacy.co.uk/flutter.htm

The user simply exhales a number of times into the mouthpiece of the FLUTTER - causing a steel ball to vibrate inside the casing. The pressure of blowing against this steel ball, and the vibrations that it makes, travel back into the lungs where they start to have a positive effect.

The vibrations affect all the branches of the airways, and like "shaking apples from the branches of a tree", mucus is loosened.

Shiona