In the real world of EIS where no real standards of use that make any sense at all, exists..eyeballs and taste buds are as sensible an instrument as any.

If I'm doing precision work a lot, I can tell the difference between a .001 and a .003 fit just by looking at what the clearance does and how it feels.

I mean, you can get PPM right down to the double decimal and still not know what it will do or how to use it...and the body can't read. All it knows is "enough". "Too much" just gets discarded. So long as it's not a toxic amount that overwhelms the elimination rate and system, no big deal.

Everyone needs to learn how to test water quality with the LED as you describe above.

It is not really very hard once anyone gets the basics under their belt.

You mentioned another subject worthy of more detail and that relates to the different methods to accomplish uniform and accurate spacings for electrodes, especially for home build generators.

I think most of the factory CS generators handle that with the basic design.

Actually, very few do. That would be a testament to repeated ignorance standing in the place of observation. The majority of generator makers leave electrode spacing up to the operator, have no controls whatever, then say "1 PPM per minute" without even mentioning water volume. [never mind water quality]
 I've seen it hundreds of times....Just can't happen except by sheer accident.
I've seen "pink" CS being touted as the best there is, then publish detailed directions on how to totally screw up on purpose. Many still use salt. [Oh, but don't use "chemical" salt ...natural sodium chloride is different, plus, you can make any number of other compounds more unpredictably, so that's better. ]

Till just the past few years, "Pay a lot for shoddily made nothing" has been the rule rather than the exception...uh.. actually nothing is still the rule but the price for it has come down considerably with competition.

Saving grace: If you get within earshot of the ballpark parking lot..the stuff will "work"..and you really have to try hard to hurt yourself. A dead bug is a dead bug whether it was killed with a sniper rifle or a pipe bomb half packed with gravel.
 If the dirt doesn't care about craters?
No big deal, just wasteful. [But you *can* pay a sniper rifle price for a chunk of old rusty pipe.]

Ode

Wayne

List maintainer: Mike Devour <mdev...@eskimo.com>