Morning Ode,

Thanks for the comments.

You would need an absolute current control and absolute electrode position repeatability to do that.
   I have mentioned the LED as a measuring tool a few times and no
one said a word.   This caused me to think I was crazy or in a world all alone.

Now you prove that is not the case. <grin>

I realized the value of the eye as a measuring tool near 50 years ago. IBM had one measurement specification that read .013 plus or minus .002 . This was in a non accessible place and no tool could be used. We asked the instructor, "How do we measure it"? He said, "Use your eye". Darn, I guess IBM only hired people who had a "Micrometer Eyeball". In later years, I learned I could measure bullet seating depth in hand loaded ammunition within .001 to .005 with the eye even though I had a high quality caliper on the table.

Back to the real world and your comments.

In my case, the LED on the generator is in series with the output and brightness can determine where max current is when the electrodes are moved up and down in the water.
   Very good point.  I can understand that.

Read range has limits.
If the LED never gets fully bright with full electrode exposure, the water is 1 uS or under . If just touching the water makes the LED fully bright, that's 20 uS and over. Read range is between 1 and 20 uS. Accuracy is slightly better than a PPM/TDS meter but not as good as a good conductivity meter.
   That is an awesome statement.  Some may find it hard to believe.
The LED is cheap, reliable, and last near indefinitely.
In my upstairs bedroom, I build an annunciator with a switch or two and audible signals. Somehow I got an LED too bright. I felt it would last a month or two. It is still there after 25 years even though it is obviously too bright.

I can't imagine a CS generator without an LED.

I think you failed to mention another great benefit of LED brightness.

You stated it effectiveness and reliability.

That is to test Water Quality. I reject water due to poor quality with the LED alone.

I think anyone can do this with a little effort and training.

Compared to an analog sensor system,

The LED is the Sensor

The Eye is the Signal Conditioner

The Brain is the software and the calculator

...to some degree of accuracy...within some read range, because the actual process interferes somewhat and the interference increases with PPM after some point. [ at somewhere around 20 to 30 uS, even a "good" meter slews off in comparing uS apples to PPM oranges]
The world of instrumentation leaves much to be desired unless you have the funds of the Federal Reserve.

I studied sensors and analog devices for a solid year once in the past. Medical sensors cost $ 1500 to $ 2500.

One about as good for industrial use would cost $ 300 to $ 600.
Possilbly no UL and Medical Gestapo involved, maybe insurance.

Finally I found a company in the Northeast that would build or fabricate any kind of sensor, signal conditioning, and 4-20 ma transmitter for a reasonable cost. This was a small company and I dealt with the president and owner. Was I happy?

Everyone needs to learn how to test water quality with the LED as you describe above.

It is not really very hard once anyone gets the basics under their belt.

You mentioned another subject worthy of more detail and that relates to the different methods to accomplish uniform and accurate spacings for electrodes, especially for home build generators.

I think most of the factory CS generators handle that with the basic design.

Wayne