Ode wrote:
      People also used to be exposed to animals from birth, crawl about
    in the
    barn tasting rat chaser kitties and chickens, eat and breathe dirty
    things
    and "live" in the natural world that requires the development of
    resistance.

 Kirsteen Wright wrote:
Yes but on the other hand, the infant mortality rate was a lot higher then

On the other other hand, nearly all of our current trumpeted longer average lifespan has resulted from lowered "infant" mortality. I've read that in the past anyone who lived beyond about 5 was likely to live as long as today's average. In any case the current infant mortality numbers of the U.S. are nothing to brag about. Apparently many countries have far less infant mortality than we do.

The process of developing a strong immune system by the means Ode mentioned inevitably results in the natural culling of those whose immune systems for whatever reason cannot stand up to the challenges. While a tragedy on a personal human scale theoretically it was a good thing for the human species as a whole. Evolution in action.

sol