On 2017-03-06 15:03, Timothe Litt wrote:
There were also HSC40 & hsc60.

Right. Pretty similar to all the others. The differences (as far as I can remember) were mostly on the number of SDI/STI ports available, and the amount of cache in the machine.

The differences in the hsc family members were the processor, cache,
load device, number of channels, and maximum number of ports.  Some
models were field-upgradable.  Also, later models supported
(reluctantly) the K.scsi module, which allowed the HSC to serve SCSI
disks and tapes.  (SCSI was carefully analyzed & found to have
reliability/data integrity issues; DEC's answer was DSSI.  Rather like
Beta & VHS - "good enough, but cheaper" won.)

Right. However, to use the K.scsi, you actually needed to upgrade. The HSC90 with the capability to use K.scsi was the HSC95. I don't think the HSC70 could at all. The 40 and 60 could, I think, but I wonder if they then were renamed 45 and 65. I think I still have some documentation somewhere, but it would take some digging to find this.

At some point, support for 18-bit disks (576 byte sectors) was dropped.
The HSC50 definitely had it; the HSC90 did not.  I'm unsure about the HSC70.

Unless I remember totally wrong, only the HSC50 could do 576 byte sectors. It was dropped in a pretty early version of CRONIC, before support for any other HSC controller existed.

        Johnny

There's a fair bit of configuration information in
http://decdoc.itsx.net/dec94mds/hscmnin2.pdf