Another data point. After more playing around and several reboots, I can confirm that with tunneling using the host system's Ethernet device, communications with other cluster members /only/ drops when DECnet is started.

   %%%%%%%%%%%  OPCOM  19-JUL-2018 23:14:55.58  %%%%%%%%%%%
   Message from user DECNET on DARTH
   DECnet starting

   %CNXMAN,  lost connection to system QUEST
   %CNXMAN,  lost connection to system GALAXY
   %CNXMAN,  re-established connection to system FASTER
   %CNXMAN,  quorum lost, blocking activity
   %CNXMAN,  re-established connection to system VADER
   %CNXMAN,  re-established connection to system QUEST
   %CNXMAN,  quorum regained, resuming activity

That's not a full log, but as soon as I see the OPCOM message about DECnet starting, I get the "lost connection" messages, then the "re-established" messages, and then everything is fine afterward.

Hunter