Paul Koning wrote:

X.25 is indeed asymmetrical. Whether that can be gotten around is not entirely clear to me.

Well, we did :-)

For X25-11M (Datapac, Transpac, as I recall) it involved using console switches to jam certain status bits into a certain lowcore word in order to convince the software it had initialized :-) For its successor, RSX-11M PSI (or whatever its name was) there was some slightly cleaner way to do it.

This might well have been suitable for testing only, in that you promised not to originate calls that would collide. Or maybe the magic was to change address allocation for the fake-DCE end. Them brain cells have long since vanished, sorry.