As some of you may know/remember, I wrote articles for /VAX Professional/ (later /Digital Systems Journal/) for from 1986 through 1994. A couple of years ago, I posted many of my articles on my website. I wondered at the time why I was posting some of them, because they were written for VMS V4.x and subsequent VMS releases had made them obsolete. But now what's old is new again, so I thought some of you may be interested in a couple of them, in particular.

"A Debug Register Display Fix" - How to customize the DEBUG screen display in VMS V4.4 to match previous versions

"DCL Command RECALL extensions"

   CMD.MAR is a MACRO program that will allow a user to flush his
   command buffer, list all the commands stored in the buffer, save the
   commands by writing them out to a file, and restore commands
   previously SAVEd.

I don't remember what version of VMS included this functionality in the RECALL command, but this program is definitely useful under VMS V4.x and V5.x.

One of my most popular articles was about the DCL patch to extend the number of commands stored in the RECALL buffer. In VMS V4 through V5.5 or so, DCL limited recall to 20 commands. It was a hardcoded limit. I figured out patches to DCL.EXE that would extend that limit up to 62 commands. The article describes how RECALL works and how I figured out the patches. I have not posted that article yet, but the program is available here:

http://vms.process.com/ftp/vms-freeware/fileserv/dcl_recall.zip

I can't remember what versions of VMS this applied to, but it even worked on OpenVMS AXP V1.5, which tells me some version of V6 probably increased that hardcoded limit of 20.

I'll try to post the article soon, just for completeness.

https://hunter.goatley.com/vax-professional-articles/

And if you're not familiar with my VMS freeware archive, it contains a ton of great freeware for VMS, and many of the packages will run on old versions of VMS, too.

http://www.process.com/resources/openvms/index.html

--
Hunter
------