hi Mark,

you can't use %<alnum> variables in patterns - these
variables are accessible only from action lists.
However, there is a much simpler solution to the
problem you have. Provided that you want to get an
e-mail message for
1) a user logout (QUIT message),
2) N seconds have elapsed since the beginning of a
session without logout (QUIT),
the following rule might help you:

type=pairwithwindow
ptype=regexp
pattern=.+\sftp\.ourdomain\.com
proftpd\[([0-9]+)\].+USER\s(.+)\: Login successful
desc=FTP session without QUIT pid=$1 user=$2
action=pipe '%s' mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ptype2=regexp
pattern2=.+\sftp\.ourdomain\.com proftpd\[$1\].+FTP
session closed
desc2=FTP session with QUIT pid=%1 user=%2
action2=pipe '%s' mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
window=3600

Please note that I have employed PairWithWindow rule
for creating an association between login and logout
messages -- this rule executes 'action' if no logout
has been observed for a login in an 1 hour window, and
executes 'action2' if logout was observed after login
within an 1 hour window. Also, I have used the %2
variable for fetching the user ID from the login
message and using it in 'action2' (%<number> variables
are specific to Pair* rules and help to pass data from
first regular expression to the second).

hth,
risto