Though I have remained often-publicly
opposed to emergence and 'fuzzy' design since first realising what the true
consequences (of the heavily enhanced-GA-based system I was working
on at the time) were, as far as I know I haven't made that particular
mistake again.

Whereas, my view is that it is precisely the effective combination of probabilistic logic with complex systems science (including the notion of emergence) that will lead to, finally, a coherent and useful theoretical framework for designing and analyzing AGI systems...

I am also interested in creating a fundamental theoretical framework for AGI, but am pursuing this on the backburner in parallel with practical work on Novamente (even tho I personally find theoretical work more fun...).  I find that in working on the theoretical framework it is very helpful to proceed in the context of a well-fleshed-out practical design...

-- Ben G