Chris Norwood wrote:

 When talking about use, it is easy to explain by
giving examples. When talking about safety, I always
bring in disembodied AGI vs. embodied and the normal
"range of possible minds" debate. If they are still
wary, I talk about the possible inevitability of AGI.
I relate it to the making of the atom bomb during
WWII. Do we want someone aware of the danger and
motivated to make it, and standard practice
guidelines, as safe as possible? Or would you rather
someone with bad intent and recklessness to make the
attempt?

Assuming memes in the general culture have some, if only very indirect, effect on the future. Perhaps a back up approach to both FAI and, more relevantly to the culture at large, would be encouraging animal rights. Issues associated with animal rights are better known then the coming Singularity. Besides, if the AI is so completely in control and inevitable, and if my children or I, shall be nothing more than insects (De Garis's description) or gold fish I want the general ethos to value the dignity of pets. Next time you see that collection-can at the grocery store, look at that cute puppy and give generously. :)