On Oct 23, 2006, at 7:00 PM, Anna Taylor wrote:
On 10/23/06, J. Andrew Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So you could say that the economics of responding to the mere threat
of war is adequate to drive all the research the military does.

Yes I agree but why is the threat of war always the motive?  Do not
think that there are other possible economical ways to motivate the
military to want to concentrate on singularity-level events or am I
wasting my time trying to be optimistic?

Why do you need another motivation if the basic purpose of the military suffices? If the military had no purpose, it would no longer exist and they would no longer be funding the research. The military exists to do things that militaries do, and R&D is fundamental to doing those things more efficiently. I would not be at all surprised to learn that the military has studied numerous singularity type scenarios since 1) it is their job, and 2) these types of scenarios are definitely under the umbrella of things they spend time studying and the US military establishment has a lot of bright academics in it.

It is not that the military is a "pro-Singularity" organization, but that it is directly and indirectly within the auspices of their charter to invest in and study things that incidentally may further such things along.

J. Andrew Rogers