Oops, guess that email WAS sent to the list, though I didn't realize it.

But no harm done!

Ben Goertzel wrote:

Sorry Shane, I guess I got carried away with my sense of humor ...

No, I don't really think AIXI is useless in a mathematical, theoretical sense.
I do think it's a dead-end in terms of providing guidance to
pragmatic AGI design, but that's another
story

I will send a clarifying email to the list, I certainly had no serious
intention to offend people...

Ben

Shane Legg wrote:
Ben,

So you really think AIXI is totally "useless"?  I haven't been reading
Richard's comments, indeed I gave up reading his comments some
time before he got himself banned from sl4, however it seems that you
in principle support what he's saying.  I just checked his posts and
can see why they don't make sense, however I know very well that
shouting rather than reasoning on the internet is a waste of time.

My question to you then is a bit different.  If you believe that AIXI is
totally a waste of time, why is it that you recently published a book
with a chapter on AIXI in it, and now think that AIXI and related study
should be a significant part of what the SIAI does in the future?

Shane