--- Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I posted some comments on DIGG and looked at the
> videos by Thiel and
> Yudkowsky.  I'm not sure I understand the push to
> build AGI with private
> donations when companies like Google are already
> pouring billions into the
> problem.

Private companies like Google are, as far as I am
aware, spending exactly $0 on AGI. The things Google
is interested in, such as how humans process
information and how they decide what is relevant, are
very specific subsets of this goal in the same way
that "fire" and "iron" are very specific subsets of
the internal combustion engine.

> I understand the Singularity Institute
> wants to make sure it is
> built right (friendly), but we are not anywhere near
> the point where we know
> how to do this.

True, but SIAI actually has a good chance of figuring
out how, while companies don't because they're not
really trying.

> It seems to me that commercial interests are already
> moving in the right
> direction, which is not to build humans, but rather
> to build machines that
> serve humans.

We already have ten billion machines to do a whole
bunch of stuff. The idea with AGI is that it can do
things that no machine or human ever could.

> Doing this well requires human
> capabilities such as language
> and vision, but does not require duplicating the
> human motivational system.
> The top level goal of humans is to propagate their
> DNA.  The top level goal of
> machines should be to serve humans.

You do realize how hard a time you're going to have
defining that? Remember Asimov's First Law: A robot
shall not harm a human or through inaction allow a
human to come to harm? Well, humans are always hurting
themselves through wars and such, and so the logical
result is totalitarianism, which most of us would
consider very bad.

> We have always
> built machines this way.

Do I really need to explain what's wrong with the
"we've always done it that way" argument? It hasn't
gotten any better since the South used it to justify
slavery.

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=11&t=15918

http://digg.com/general_sciences/SIAI_seeks_funding_for_AI_research

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;