--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  Hello everyone,
>
>  I think that humans will always be disctinct from A.I. because humans have
> the capacity to wonder. A computer (to my knowledge) is programmed with
> right/wrong functions at its most basic level (although some may be
> programmed based on probably right/probably wrong). No matter how
> "intelligent" a computer can become, can it question its own programming
> (and therefore its existence)? Also, aren't computers based on cause and
> effect relationships? If there are aspects of the world undefined by cause
> and effect-which is incomprehensible to humans- could a computer ever
> comprehend them? I apologize for my inexperience with A.I.; I am simply a
> curious high school student. :)
>
>  Chris Anderson

I wonder if we will figure out how to program a computer to wonder?  And if we
do, should we?  In theory, the brain is a computer, and all of its
functionality could be simulated if we had enough hardware to run it (about a
million PCs).  Such a machine should have all of our human emotions, including
a belief in its own consciousness and free will and fear of death and
everything else that was programmed into our brains through evolution for the
sole purpose of keeping us alive long enough to propagate our DNA.

But would we want to build such a machine?  I don't think so.  First, there is
no need to duplicate human weaknesses.  A replica of a human brain would
perform worse at simple arithmetic problems than your calculator.  We build
machines to do things we can't do ourselves.  Google is useful because it
knows more than you do, but you would not confuse it with a human.  The real
problem is to reproduce human strengths like language and vision.

Second, do you really want a machine with human emotions?  We want machines
that obey our commands.  But this is controversial.  Should a machine obey a
command to destroy itself or harm others?  Do you want a gun that fires when
you squeeze the trigger, or a gun that makes moral judgments and refuses to
fire when aimed at another person?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]