Samantha Atkins wrote:

 >On what basis is that answer correct?  Do you mean factual in
 >that it is
 >the choice that you would make and that you belief proper?
 >Or are you
 >saying it is more objectively correct.  If so, on what basis?  Mere
 >assertion and braggadocio will not  do for an objective  response.

I'm not really making an argument, nor treating the question fairly. I'm
posting a reaction that I believe would be a common one among our fellow
humans.

 >The question is not one of which to kill but of which, if
 >either, it is
 >morally worse to kill and why.

I fully understood the question. And I have many answers at many levels
I could post. The level at which I chose to respond was far beneath the
level you might have been expecting, but no less important a response.

 >If in general humans can be expected to prefer themselves and their
 >continuance much more than even the most unimaginably powerful and
 >wonderful non-human intelligence or species and if it is generally
 >certain they would consider a more powerful intelligence a very real
 >threat then they become a problem to such an intelligence it would
 >seem.  Unless of course they are so hopelessly outclassed that the
 >intelligence can let the stew to their heart's content.

Yes, I know, you're really smart. But do you mind if humanity gets wiped
out or not?

 >> I have been of a mind for years to start a public website
 >about 'Scary
 >> AI Researchers' where people can look up the scariest
 >things said by the
 >> various AI researchers and learn more about them. I haven't
 >done this
 >> because I don't want to put anyone at risk.
 >
 >So instead you put out an implied threat that might tend to suppress
 >open exploration of such questions? Would you prefer conclusions
> to be reached privately in this area?

No, I would prefer that our best AI researchers not opine on these high
stakes matters in unstructured forums. This area is so important and
comments so easily misconstrued that only sustained argumentation from
the best available evidence is advisable. Write a technical,
publication-quality paper. These are harder to take out of context. If
you're not an AI researcher then this doesn't apply, but Shane is, hence
my response.

Keith