On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:34:52PM +0300, Kaj Sotala wrote:

> Of course, there are methods of uploading that do destroy the
> original. I was only pointing out that the destruction of the original
> isn't a necessary requirement for *every* method.

I'm not aware of anything not including massive amounts of nanosensors
for scanning activity in situ, in vivo. This is way beyond of the
state of the art. Nobody here will see this within her biological
life span, assuming no developmental discontinuity during our lifetime.

> Easiest, perhaps. I wonder if people entering cryogenic suspension
> could set some sort of "thaw-out conditions" - for instance, "only

"Thaw-out" only metaphorically, I hope. Most of the damage occurs
during that, so it is best to process the tissue at below devitrification
temperature.

> bring me back if you can rebuild my original cell tissue, no matter
> how long it takes" or "bring me back at the earliest opportunity, even
> if you had to do a destructive upload".

I think waiting would have a trade-off. I would go for coming back earliest,
assuming whatever nonexperimental technology that is available (i.e. not
something which produces a circus freak).