Thanks Ben.

As foundation of my AI friendliness theory I tried to figure out why we
believe what good or bad is and came to the conclusion that humans, animals
and even plants have evolved to perceive as good what is encoded into their
genome/memome having been retained in the course of chance mutation and non
chance retention in the process of natural selection.

Individuals prefer certain food sources over others - in the case of humans
that could be sweats or cheeseburgers with fries versus broccoli and spinach
- because recognizing high energy non toxic food sources has been encoded
into their genes as tasting 'good'. Not because of a detached notion of
goodness but because the consumption of similar food sources has helped our
ancestors pass on their genes. The individual is thus rewarded with joy for
moving closer to its in its genes and memes encoded optimal fitness state.

Similarly cutting ones finger causes suffering because the level of pain
experienced is equivalent with the resulting decreased likelihood of not
being able to further contribute to the survival of ones genes. This is true
for our ancestors that roamed the savanna just as well without them having a
concept of germs for example. Cutting ones finger - especially in a cavemen
type setting and long before that when our pain levels evolved without soap,
band aids etc - could easily result in an infection, blood poisoning,
gangrene or what have you.

Just a quick glimpse at my theory.

Kind regards,

Stefan

On 10/27/07, Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To move the chat in a different direction, here is Stephan Pernar's
> articulates self-improving AGI supergoal, drawn from his paper
> "Benevolence--
> A Materialist Philosophy of Goodness", which is linked to from
> http://www.jame5.com/
>
> ****
> Definitions:
> Suffering = negative subjective experience equivalent to the subjective
> departure
> from an individual's model of optimal fitness state as encoded in its
> genome/memome
> Growth = absolute increase in individual's fitness
> Joy = positive subjective experience equivalent to the subjective
> contribution to
> moving closer towards an individual's model of optimal fitness state as
> encoded in its
> genome/memome
> SIAGI super goal: "Minimize all involuntary human suffering, direct all
> unavoidable suffering towards growth, and reward all voluntary suffering
> contributing
> to an individual's growth with an equal or greater amount of joy."
>
> ****
>
> -- Ben G

Stefan Pernar
3-E-101 Silver Maple Garden