Mike Tintner wrote:
Check out
http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn12833-climate-is-too-complex-for-accurate-predictions.html which argues: "Climate change models, no matter how powerful, can never give a precise prediction of how greenhouse gases will warm the Earth, according to a new study." What's that got to do with superAGI's? This: the whole idea of a superAGI "taking off" rests on the assumption that the problems we face in life are soluble if only we - or superAGI's- have more brainpower. The reality is that the problems we face are actually infinite or "practically endless." Problems like predicting the weather, working out what to do in Iraq, how to seduce or persuade another person, working out what career path to follow, deciding how to invest on the stockmarket etc. You can think about them forever and screw up just as badly or worse than if you think about them for a minute. And a superAGI may be just as capable of losing a bundle on the market as we are, or producing a product that no one wants. That doesn't mean that a superior brain wouldn't have advantages, but rather that there would be considerable limits to its powers.Even a vast brain will have problems dealing with problematic, infinite problems. (And even mighty America with all its collective natural and artificial brainpower still has problems dealing with dumb peasants). What is rather disappointing to me , given that there is an awful lot of mathematical brainpower around here, is that there seems to be no interest in giving mathematical expression to the ideas I have just expressed.

A mixture of profoundly true and off-the-mark, IMO.

Problems like "... predicting the weather ... how to seduce or persuade another person, working out what career path to follow ... " are delightfully impossible to solve, even with the help of an AGI, and long may they remain so.

For other problems "... working out what to do in Iraq ..." the solutions would be trivially easy for an AGI.

For others, the problem simply would not exist: "... how to invest on the stockmarket ..." is not a problem if there is no such thing as a stock market any more.

For your final remark: my-awful-lot-of-mathematical-brainpower module has concluded that there is no reason to give mathematical expression to these ideas. About the fact that some things are not soluble, you are right, that's all there is to it.

Richard Loosemore