[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I have to applaud this comment, and it's general tenor.

    -------------- Original message from "Mike Tintner"
    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: --------------

     > Every speculation on this board about the nature of future AGI's
    has been
     > pure fantasy. Even those which try to dress themselves up in some
    semblance
> of scientific reasoning.
> [snip Long Rant]

That is a shame, especially given Mike's record of posts on this list. ost people here would say that he confuses his own lack of understanding with the fact that what he reads is pure fantasy.

While there are many, many people who just churn out pure-fantasy ideas about artificial intelligence (Exhibit One: 99% of the science fiction literature), the purpose of this list is (among other things) to allow some people who know about the technical details to make informed estimates.

As I said before, Mike's sweeping dismissal could be used to condemn the work of the Wright brothers, a year before they got off the ground, or the work of Wernher von Braun et al, ten years before they got a human on the Moon, or the work of any other group of scientists in the years leading up to their discoveries.

Richard Loosemore