--- Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When people like Lanier allow themselves the luxury of positing
> infinitely large computers (who else do we know who does this?  Ah, yes,
> the AIXI folks), they can make infinitely unlikely coincidences happen.

It is a commonly accepted practice to use Turing machines in proofs, even
though we can't actually build one.  Hutter is not proposing a universal
solution to AI.  He is proving that it is not computable.  Lanier is not
suggesting implementing consciousness as a rainstorm.  He is refuting its
existence.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]