On 08/02/07 20:04, Daniel Corbe wrote:
> Out of curiosity are you affiliated with the OpenSER project?
yes, I am, very deep involved actually, from its beginning.
>   If so does OpenSER support SCTP?
It does, since few days ago. It came as a contribution from Connecticut
College, I reviewed and integrated in OpenSER and did the initial testings.
>   Is that why you need a phone that runs over SCTP?
Yes. In fact, other SIP entity with SCTP support is fine (of course, at
a low cost). I would like to test with other implementation, you know,
interoperability in VoIP/SIP was all the time a pain in the ...

> What's the purpose if you have other more reliable transport
> mechanisms for SIP such as TCP?
TCP brings a lot of overhead, it is one-to-one communication model,
while with SCTP you get one to many, as with UDP. For SIP servers able
to support large number of online subscribers, TCP reduce the capacity a
lot. Also, for NAT, TCP is problematic if the phone does not maintain
the connection open, it is basically impossible to open the connection
from server side.

The problem I see with UDP is fragmentation and encryption. SCTP and
TLS-SCTP overcome them. We face now big SIP messages, especially in
IM&Presence extensions.

> AFAIK the only thing in heavy deployment in telephony that uses SCTP
> is SIGTRAN and family.
OK, so, then here is another question, do you think that SCTP won't make
it to the end devices (e.g., phones)?

Cheers,
Daniel