You could make the same argument about C or Java. They would (arguably)
be easier to compile if you only allowed whitespace in a much more
restricted set of places.

I think this is more a matter of how the syntax is described, rather
than what it allows. Most parsers that I know of distinguish lexical
processing from parsing. If you do that, each becomes simpler. But the
3261 syntax in ABNF encompasses both, and is more complex as a result.

I think you might find that if you manually transformed the syntax,
splitting off a lexical phase, you wouldn't see the same complexity.

In any case, the form of the syntax is now institutionalized and won't
be changed any time soon.

        Paul