Paul Kyzivat wrote:
> The problem here is that you have a device that is trying to charge, but
> controls nothing to enforce its charging. If it wants to charge, then it
> ought to have something (e.g. the media stream) that it can "turn off"
> when the call terminates. Then there won't be fraud.
>
> If the proxy doesn't control the media path, then *what* is it charging
> for? If it is providing no services after the call is set up, then it
> should only charge for call setup, not call duration.
>
> I realize many deployed systems do this anyway - its just popular to
> charge for things that cost you nothing - its a good way to make money.

The reasoning about media path is not really true. The hypotetical proxy
could charge for providing reliable termination service with failover,
add-on features and so on.

But I agree with one of the previous statements - proxy is simply the
wrong entity for doing reliable accounting, one needs to use B2BUA for
that. Having control over media is good, but is not required. Usually
termination side is secure/reliable enough so that the B2BUA can rely on
it to cut off the session on BYE.

Regards,
--
Maksym Sobolyev