On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 16:29 +0100, javier.ferreirogar...@telefonica.es
wrote:
> The current approach, when changing operational mode on the fly, is to
> unsubscribe prior to automatic deregistration, then perform initial
> registration of the new "feature tag" and perform initial subscription to
> all event-packages. The overhead in terms of SIP messages is significant,
> so we are wondering if it is possible to reuse "old" subscriptions. When
> unregistering old contact and registering the new; the IP address in the
> Contact keeps the same, the only item that changes is the feature tag.
> Is this allowed according to RFC 3261?

I assume you mean "registrations" instead of "subscriptions".

Certainly, the sequence of REGISTER requests that you propose is
*allowed* by RFC 3261.  And since the actual contact URI (as opposed to
the field-parameter attached to it) does not change, the routing of
requests for that AOR would not change -- the outgoing request-URI would
still be <sip:10.232.110.202>.  So I don't see why this case is
interesting.

I suspect you have not made clear what you think the trouble would be.

Dale