Singh, Indresh (NSN - US/Boca Raton) wrote:
> IMHO,
>
> I agree with Somesh that 200 OK seems the right response to generate. As
> the objective of the UA sending the un-REGISTER request was to remove
> the binding on the registrar and since the registar knows about the AoR
> but does not have any binding ( due to some reason ). It just
> acknowledges the un-REGISTER request with it's latest binding
> information in 200OK. 404 would have been appropriate if the AoR was not
> present on the registrar server.

Yes.

Technically there is no such thing as an "unregister" in SIP. All there
is is a REGISTER with some expiration value, which can succeed whether
there is a prior registration that it supersedes or not. What is
typically called an "unregister" is really just the installation of a
new registration with an expiration time of 0, which may or may not
supersede some prior registration. After it is installed, it immediately
expires and goes away, even before the response is sent.

There is no justification for a 404 response in this case. As noted
above, that would imply lack of awareness of the AOR that is the target
of the registration.